- You’ll feel energized and refreshed when you get home. I don’t know about you, but sometimes I just need to push the reset button. Life is happening all around us at the speed of light, and you can’t remember the last time you hit pause and took a time out. Sure, that vacation last summer with the family was fantastic and you made some amazing memories, but there wasn’t a lot of time for you to just focus on you – your dreams, your goals, your health, your career – well you get the idea. Retreats give you time to reflect on all these topics (and more), and slowing down for a few days sets the creative part of your mind free to wander, just like when you were a kid. Research shows us that when we allow ourselves these moments in time, we feel revitalized, refreshed and ready to take on new challenges. I’d say that’s a fabulous reason to watch for a retreat opportunity.
- You’ll get an avalanche of great ideas. Studies have shown that entrepreneurs who spend 3 weekends or more a year retreating from their everyday world are more creative, better problem solvers and have more overall success with their companies than those who don’t. If you own your own business or work in a small, entrepreneurial company, do you need a better reason than this to take a long weekend for yourself?
- You’ll learn a new skill. Yoga, hiking, healthy cooking, kayaking, relaxation, biking, meditation, setting priorities, sleeping well, the value of good nutrition, healthy habits or just how to be present in your life once you’re back home. Really, the list could go on and on, but I promise you, you’ll add more items to your skill list in the few days you’re away than you ever thought possible.
- You’ll discover new things about yourself. Whether you’re 25, 45, 65 or beyond, there’s always something new to learn about yourself. And, because there’s something almost magical about being on retreat, you’ll answer questions like, what do you really want the next five years to bring you? What do you want to be doing every day? Who do you want to spend more time with? How do you want to spend that time? How do you want to feel each day when you wake up? I’ve pursued questions like these and so many others over the years, and the answers have helped shape my life into something wholly rich and satisfying. And there’s still so much more to learn! I had better sign up for a retreat soon.
- You’ll meet new, like-minded people from across the country and around the world. This could be my favorite reason of all to go on a retreat. The people you meet and get to know enrich your life in ways you couldn’t possibly envision prior to meeting them. They have different ideas, ways of life, skillsets and priorities that you would never have been exposed to if you hadn’t committed to taking the time to get away. The best part about this is, they are all on the retreat for the same reason you are – to focus on improving their lives. It creates an amazing atmosphere of sharing and learning that you tend to think is non-existent in the “real world”. I’m here to tell you, it does exist and there’s a spot waiting just for you on that next retreat.